Chocolate Ginger Cookies
Triple threat, double trouble … that was what I was thinking when I started making these. Since chocolate and ginger are such best friend flavours, I figured the more they got to hang out the better, right? Hence three different types of ginger and a double hit of chocolate.
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temp
1 very generous tsp grated ginger
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c white sugar
1/4 c molasses
1 1/2 c flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
1 very generous tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp candied ginger, chopped
1 c chocolate chips
• Preheat the oven to 350°. Line your baking sheets with parchment.
• Cream the butter, grated ginger and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add the molasses and egg and beat to combine.
• In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients. Add to the sugary butter and mix.
• Add the candied ginger and chocolate chips. Mix just to combine. Throw in the fridge for a couple minutes (this makes it way easier to work with).
• Roll the dough into 1” balls, and roll to coat in the extra sugar. Place a few inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 10–12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Let cookies cool a couple minutes on the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Pro tip! Keep the dough refrigerated during batches so you aren’t a total sticky, chocolatey, doughy mess by the end of it.
This was my second attempt at trying to get these down, and I think there is still a bit of room for improvement. I recommend adding a bit more grated ginger (I like it sharp). A touch more flour may make things easier to roll out as well.
Made on Saturday, November 5, 2011
Enjoyed by pals at Jnet and Craig’s pizza party pre-super awesome Tricky Twoo rock show times.
blog comments powered by Disqus