Starting the day with baked goods straight out of the oven (I really wish this shot better captured the steam that is coming off this bad boy), is the fucking best. I know that sometimes every single extra minute in bed counts, but hit the snooze button two less times, drag yourself up, and have a perfect, still-warm-from-the-oven breakfast.
3/4 c flour
2/3 c graham flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
2 tbsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne
1/3 c unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 c hot water
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
• Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a loaf pan with parchment.
• Sift together your dry ingredients; set aside.
• Mix together your butter, sugar, honey and ginger. In a separate bowl, whisk together the molasses and soda. In yet another bowl, the water and soda.
• Now mix all three of them together.
• Add the dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Finally, add the beaten eggs and stir. Pour into your loaf pan and throw in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes, perfect amount of time to clean yourself up for the day.
I didn’t really pay any mind to letting this cool, I just sliced in and ate it straight. Not too sweet, super gingery and with a nice honey aftertaste. And, yeah, I get that it didn’t rise properly, but I am really not that fussy at nine in the morning.
Made on Tuesday, February 7, 2012.
Enjoyed by me. And then by Anna.