As I have been doing a terrible job of cooking at home this last month, I thought last night’s No Fucking Way Am I Going Anywhere dinner should be something worthwhile. Total flashback to this perfect dinner party from four years ago, but you know, just for me.
3 lamb rib chops, about 1 3/4” thick
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
coarse salt and pepper
• whisk garlic, s+p into olive oil. Smear the lamb in the oil (both sides!), and set aside while you get the gratin ready.
1/3 of a medium eggplant, cut into 1/2” rounds
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4” rounds
3 tomatoes, cut into 1/4” rounds
3–4 new potatoes, sliced thin on the mandoline
freshly grated parmesan
drizzle of olive oil
handful of panko
• Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly oil a shallow casserole dish, a bit on the smaller side. (The one I used was maybe an 8 x 5” oval.)
• Layer your veg as such, doing a light seasoning of s+p, thyme, and a bit of parm on each layer:
• Finish off with a drizzle of olive oil, some more parm and a light coating of panko.
• Throw in the oven for 25 minutes.
• After 30 min, put the lamb in the oven as well. Cook 5 minutes on one side, flip for another 8, then crank that bitch up to broil and give it a little bit longer. This will nicely brown the top of the gratin as well.
• Remove from oven, and let the meat rest a few minutes. Then eat! Tasty tasty. Be sure not to leave a morsel on those bones.
I was a little light on the salt in the gratin, and I really recommend using top notch product on the tomatoes. Beyond that: all good. And in the event anyone is counting (I know you’re not), no I didn’t each three lamb chops last night. I saved one.
Made on Friday, July 22, 2011.
Enjoyed by me.