Mason sent me this link the other week ( http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2010/11/02/deep-fried-mini-mars-bars/ ) and I knew we had to try them.
3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
pinch or two of baking soda
bit of cream (or milk. we’re luxurious) to thin batter
selection of random mini candybars (we tried Mars, Caramilk, Wunderbar, Peanut Butter Cups, Mr Big and Crispy Crunch)
• whisk together the flour, cornstarch and baking soda.
• Pour in a bit of cream at a time until batter forms. It should be pourable, but not runny.
• Heat about 1/2” oil in a small pot until a dash of flour sizzles when added.
• Using metal / silicone tongs, dip candybars in batter to coat then place carefully in oil. Only do a few at a time.
• Flip after about a minute, remove from oil to paper towel after about another thirty seconds. Batter should be golden.
• Dust with icing sugar if you like, but they are more than sweet enough.
These were pretty messy, but delicious. I think a recipe with egg might help the batter stick to the chocolate a bit better, these seemed to lose about half of the batter. Mars was definitely the best, and peanut butter cups definitely the worst. A good thing to have if you are ever missing the heady deep fry days of Stampede.
made on Sunday, November 7, 2010
enjoyed by Katie, Jared and Kallen (yeah, that’s right: after suggesting it, Mason never even bothered to show up. His loss.)